Sunday, November 4, 2012

Run the Hot Chocolate Run

I did not train for this!  I probably should have and then I could have knocked off a second list item, "run an entire 5K".  The only thing I did in preparation was to walk 3 miles with the stroller around Lake Arlington one day last week.  I had shin splints from that, so I knew I should  have done more, but it's the same reason I don't work out now!  I don't make a it a priority to schedule it!

Since it was the morning of the time change, I checked my phone when Caitlyn woke up about 4:30, I thought I would feed her and then be on my way.  Josh also got up about the same time, and his clock had been changed the night before and already read 5:30.  We didn't understand, so I checked the clock in the kitchen which hadn't been changed and it said 6:40!  (Real time was 5:40!)  I had wanted to leave at 5:45.  Luckily I had laid out my clothes the night before and was able to get on the road quickly.  Made good time, though I had to stop for some gas.   Traffic was light - most people were probably still enjoying that extra hour of sleep!  There was some traffic close to the parking and the course, so I paid $30! dollars to park and then walked over to my corral.  I didn't cross the start line until 50 minutes from the official start of the race.   Since I was in M corral and they allowed 3 and a half minutes between each corral, I was not in any rush when I saw the actual start of the race.  I did manage to run the first mile, mainly because I was pacing behind a mom with her son, her 5 year old son!  I used Jared's wireless bluetooth headphones which worked great.  I tried listening to my music on Google Music, but the same song kept repeating; I also tried using the Nike Running app, but you have to keep the screen on for it to work.  that wouldn't have worked out, though it could have been cool to "hear" the cheers of my friends liking my status through the run.  Maybe next time...Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving.  I ran the race in just under 40 minutes.  though they got the bibs mixed up, so I couldn't search for my name on the results.  My knees and hips were sore after the race, and my quads the next day.  Overall, I am happy with my results.

Update I forgot to review the reason I added this to the list: Hot Chocolate and Fondue at the post race!  The finishers mug was awesome.  Pretzels, marshmallows,  apples, banana and the hot chocolate and fondue.  Awesome.  Plus a great sweatshirt and chocolate candies at the expo and past the finish line.

No comments:

Post a Comment