Saturday, December 31, 2011

Turkey Soup

So, in preparation for the new baby's arrival, I've been stockpiling food to have in those first few weeks.  I got a free turkey back in November as part of the grocery store's promotions for Thanksgiving.  We didn't celebrate Thanksgiving in town, but I wasn't passing up a FREE $17 turkey!  It sat in the freezer for a few weeks, until the other day when I decided it was taking up too much space.  I decided to make it for dinner last night, and use the leftovers for tonight for Turkey Enchilladas.  I also knew I wanted to make Turkey Soup.  So, I saved the carcass, found this recipe online and was successful in making 3 batches of Turkey Soup!

Review: I would have tried to get more meat off the bone before putting it in the stock pot.  I didn't have a fine metal mesh to strain the soup so I used the strainer from one of my pots and some cheese cloth.  I wanted to freeze the soup in plastic bags a la Jamie Lee Curtis.  I first put the bag in a large bowl, so that the pouring of the liquid wouldn't make the bag fall over, or if it did, it wouldn't make a mess.  I had to spoon some of the turkey and veggies into each bag, but I laid them flat in the freezer and can't wait to see how they turn out!

No comments:

Post a Comment