I think I did a great job with this task. With the baby's room changing from green with monkeys for Josh to green and pink with butterflies, the old rocking chair cushions needed to be updated.
See this old video of the reveal of Josh's baby room?
http://silverfamilyil.blogspot.com/2009/05/extremem-makeover-nursery-addition.html
about 1:13 into the video you can see the old fabric.
Here's what the new one looks like. I had originally picked out some butterfly fabric, but by the time I got back to the store to purchase it, they were sold out!
I started by taking apart the old cushions to see what my Aunt Terri had done. Basic straight stitches. I traced the cushion twice, only to realize that it's not even on both sides. Plus I traced with the old fabric on, which made it bigger...oh well, I finally got the two pieces similar enough sew three sides. the complicated thing was adding the ribbons to tie to the chair. I gave up trying to do a fabric tie and just added some ribbon, which I think is even better. However, I sewed them to the inside! I had to open some stitches and put them back through the front. I got the cushion in and sewed close as possible to the cushion. I actually did two runs. First, to close the square, and the second to make it tight, the cut out off the first so that I wouldn't have any overhang. It's not perfect or great, but I'm not selling it or looking for awards - it fits the needs I have.
I was a bit more confident with the bottom cushion, and I made a few mistakes. I sewed the the edges too close together (in attempt to make it tight, and forgot to leave room for the fabric to come down the sides. I ended up having to trim the cushion foam to fit the fabric around the cushion. I also didn't put the ribbon ties the same on both sides. If you imagine the numbers 1 , 2 and 3 running down the sides of the cushion, then I sewed the ribbons on 1 and 2 on one side and 1 and 3 on the other side..oh well, I hope it will be ok. Again, not perfect or winning any awards, but it should keep the cushion on the chair.
Sunday, December 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment